Logo der Universität Wien

The history of the Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle


When Konrad Lorenz retired from his directorship at the German Max Planck Society's Institute for Behavioural Physiology, at Seewiesen in 1973, at the age of 70, he returned to Austria and looked for a place to where he could continue research with his semitame flock of greylag geese, notably his longitudinal (over generations) study on social dynamics.

Mediated by Otto König, HM Ernst August, Duke of Cumberland invited Konrad Lorenz to Grünau. Buildings were adapted, ponds created and soon Lorenz and coworkers started to move the geese from Seewiesen to Grünau. However, nearly 10 years passed until the local flock had stabilized again. The first years were still funded by the German Max Planck Society. The Austrian Academy of Sciences took over in 1980. Aside from geese, social development was investigated in other birds, but also in beavers and wild boars.

When Konrad Lorenz died in February 1989, the future of the KLF first looked bleak. But starting with July 1990, the Konrad Lorenz Research Station (KLF) continued to operate because of the joint effort of Prof. John Dittami/University of Vienna and the government of Upper Austria.
     
      

Konrad Lorenz Forschungsstelle
Fischerau 11
4645 Grünau


T: +43 7616 8510
E-Mail
University of Vienna | Universitätsring 1 | 1010 Vienna | T +43-1-4277-0